Friday, March 16, 2012

Beelarong and Networks

I had driven along Wynnum Road dundreds of times and seen the sign to "Beelarong Farm" and assumed that it was a community garden, but never ventured there - ever turned left at the sign.   As it turned out I was to visit the farm,  but it was via an invitation to someone who knew someone that I did.  Networks work very well.

Another Di contacted me.  (Yes, there are many of us, and yes, we do like to call ourselves "Lady Di").  She is one of the committee of the Beelarong Farm, which is a community garden at Morningside, an inner city suburb of Brisbane.

The day I chose to go was a very wet day, and it also was the same day that I was to pick up my new Mitsubishi Lancer from Zupps at Mt Gravatt, from my new friend and super salesman Sherman!  My  old car, my late father's Daihatsu Applause was duly cleaned and emptied (yes, I had no umbrella!), and I headed off to Beelarong to meet Di and the other volunteers.  They had a bamboo that they were concerned about, and I offered to link them with information from one of the Society of Bamboo friends.

Coffee and blueberry muffins for morning tea (must remember that - Wednesday mornings at Beelarong - coffee!) and meeting the other members before the rain eased and we tip toed (so not to walk in the very wet areas) through the grass to the wonderful stand of bamboo, which could well be the variety Oldhammii.  Members are worried that it might take over - but it is the clumping variety and a very healthy specimen.

Healthy Bamboo Shoot - yum, yum, but they are going to measure its growth.


This has grown from a small plant in a pot, to this and the photo does not capture the size - it is VERY tall.  It is the clumping variety and if harvested properly should cause no trouble, though it is shading some plants nearby, which is the issue for them.

After I departed Beelarong I set off to pick up my new car.  Wow.  It is the first new car I have had in some 30 years and it is all mine.  It is wonderful to drive, and I am still learning to use some of the features (radio, cd player etc really), but I am thrilled.

Now I have healthy wheels I can venture further to see more bamboo farms.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your advice with this Di. I know this particular bamboo as my allotment is just a few yards away (or is that metres in the new money!) It is indeed a fine specimen, and it's a relief to know that I will not have to hack my way to my allotment in the future as this particular variety of bamboo is clumping and not about to take over completely.

    ReplyDelete