Friday, March 9, 2012

Awareness of Bamboo

I am certainly no expert, but clearly I know a lot more about bamboo, and its products than I did some months ago, and I enjoy talking about it.  I have found quite a few people who are very enthusiastic bamboo growers and users - and by growers, I mean, home growers.

I met a lady yesterday at an International Women's Day function, who has an ordinary suburban block and loves her bamboo.  I am going to see it soon I hope.

I have had business cards made - which at the moment simply give my name and contact details, as I am waiting to see if I have managed to survive/pass my Master of Arts, and then I will add my qualifications, and details of my blogs on the new cards, and yes, with the bamboo motif that I now have.

The lovely bamboo on it certainly raises interest - it is a great discussion point.  Much better than having my photo on it.

When I was doing some writing about bamboo recently I went back over my blog Adventures of an Australian English teacher, where I reported on many of my adventures in China and South Korea as an "English Teacher" and am surprised by the reports on bamboo.

The other day I found photos of a visit to Longmen and Fuyang in Zhejiang Province, not far from Shaoxing where I was based.  Longmen is an amazing historic town.  It was ancient and in some parts crumbling, but so fascinating.

At Fuyang we visited a bamboo paper making factory - and somewhere in my 'archives' I have the bamboo paper that I collected there, with a bird print on it, that I did in the room as we passed through the museum.

I wonder sometimes if I was destined to be involved with bamboo!

Using a wooden frame the bamboo pulp is collected and lifted from the vat.

The large sheets of bamboo paper are carefully placed on a stainless steel heated wall, to dry out the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment