Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Bamboo Shoots

OK, I confess I normally use canned bamboo shoots, but last week I was given (a) freshly cut bamboo in a salt water solution in a container and (b) a bamboo shoot to prepare myself.


First of all, I was shown the amazing plant that it had came from.  I doubt the photo will do it justice - it is thicker than a man's arm, and strong.   It grows at a terrible fast rate and at 8 weeks is fully grown, and  6 or 7 metres tall.  Awesome.

These shoots have appeared in early February - though other species might shoot at other times of the year.

I peeled off the leafy bits after I cut the root in half, and then peeled back the rough tough looking outer pieces, put them in a saucepan after I rinsed them and covered them with water.  then onto the stove with some salt to boil for about 10 minutes.  I'm told it is best to boil them twice so - after the first boiling I discarded the 'old' water and fresh water, they boiled again.


Then I cut some of it it into slices so that I can add it quickly to my cooking and put it in the refrigerator in a plastic container with salted water.


No comments:

Post a Comment