Sunday, February 5, 2012

Bali Bamboo

I can think of no other place but Bali to research the best of bamboo, and so I set off on Feb 1st, 2012, to see what I could learn.

After surviving the maze of traffic, (human and machine) at Denpasar airport, along with several other passengers, I was transported to my hotel supposedly in Legian, but more Kuta I suspect.  Along the way though I could see how bamboo was used.

There were fences, and barriers made with bamboo - surprisingly rather fragile barriers surrounded some holes in the footpath - not quite the safely barriers we must have in Oz.

I could see many examples of bamboo using in building, but to me mostly it was used to help prop up cement, or other building materials.

Of course bamboo was growing everywhere - from the fine stalked bamboo to the very thick - it seems to grow everywhere.  Anywhere.

When we reached my hotel, the Jayakarta Hotel, I was slightly amused that the room I was given was the closest room to two stands of bamboo! Strange!  There was no other stand of bamboo in the whole complex.

Bamboo holding up the floor


There were several building sites similar to the above.  I suspect in time the bamboo pillars will be replaced by brick or other material.





No comments:

Post a Comment